- The overall goal of the field is to have a positive impact on the health of a community by influencing their behavior in such a way that they make the right health related choices.
- Things like programs that attack and target obesity, substance abuse, and dietary issues are all examples of how this position can influence the public’s health.
Potential job duties include the following:
- Identifying health related issues within a community and determining what issues need to be addressed to improve health.
- Developing educational resources that help influence quality of life.
- Developing pamphlets and literature that can be passed out to assist in improving overall health and wellbeing.
- Working with local medical professionals and policy makers to influence changes that have a long lasting impact on health in the community.
- Working in this field requires a very specific skill set, and having strength in several different areas will help you excel in the position.
- Areas that you will want to be strong in include the following.
- Good Communication – Working with the public, you’ll need to be able to talk to them and deliver the kind of education they’ll need to improve their quality of life.
- Good communication skills are the most important part of the job.
- Confidence – Your strategies and efforts will have an impact on the population. As such, you need to have confidence in your abilities.
- Good Organization – You’ll also need to be able to organize information and data, as well as reports and documents. Strong organizational skills are a must.