- To be part of a team providing 24 hour medical cover and immediate first line resuscitation to anyhospital patient, visitor or staff member as required.
- To assist in the management of patients and provide back-up support to the consultant
Duties and Responsibilities
- A professional approach must be adopted with all patients, staff and visitors.
- RMOs must work within their level of experience and competence and highlight verbally andin writing to the nurse in charge if they are being asked to work outside the level of theircompetences.
- To provide medical cover, routine and emergency, during hours of duty and work inconjunction with the other RMO to provide a 24 hour service to the hospital.
- To clerk in and assess urgent admissions as required when the relevant consultant is notimmediately available.To undertake a morning and evening ward round daily and if possible with a member of thenursing staff when available ensuring patients are visited where appropriate.
- To make anentry in the patient’s notes as appropriate following ward rounds or any other patientexaminations, communication or procedures.
- To receive a hand-over report on patients from the alternative RMO when commencing dutyand to attend the ward areas between the hours of 7.30 and 9.30 both morning and eveningto enable and establish consultant communication .
- The RMO can spend time in theatre, observing procedures if agreed by the Consultant andWard Manager. The RMO must be available to return to the ward and departments ifrequiredConsultantsUnder no circumstances should RMOs seek consent for operations or procedures on behalf ofa Consultant.
- RMOs must seek consent for any procedures that they intend to undertake.To communicate any medical problems or concerns to Consultants.To act, as may be reasonably required, on behalf of the Consultant in their absence whenrequested.
- To undertake within their level of experience and competence certain medical proceduresrequired by the Consultants.Nursing staff and patientsTo liaise with nursing staff regularly (at least every 3-4 hours) to check on patien