The project accountant monitors the progress of projects, investigates variances, approves expenses, and ensures that project billings are issued to customers and payments collected. They may also assist with the development of the financial aspects of the business case for each proposed project.
Responsibilities will vary, but examples include:
- Maintaining project reports.
- Maintaining all relevant income and expenditure for each project.
- Analysing project expenses and providing commentary.
- Overseeing project records and contracts to ensure terms are adhered to.
- Business partnering with non-finance managers to develop processes and the understanding of financial requirements.
- Creating bespoke financial reports.
- Developing financial systems along with IT support to make processes more user friendly.
- Report on project profitability to senior management.