Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Participate in on-site field assessment of specific required needs and recommendations for SPS where required. The staff will assess the specific needs for each site to provide adequate solar electric power for computers and other IT systems to be installed at proposed locations. The systems set up will be designed for maximum power efficiency and will be minimalist in nature. The following technical issues will be among those addressed:
- Site orientation and recommendation on best kind, number and placement of solar power boreholes and solar power systems, inverters, and battery systems, earthing and wiring appendages.
- Power interface issues with other electrical power sources, ensuring their best integration with the solar sources while also ensuring full solar capacity to the borehole systems in the event of failure of alternate supplies.
- Appropriate considerations on the operation of the systems throughout the year, considering specifically extended rainy season performance issues.
- Recommended maintenance schedule and specifications for contracted maintenance services;
- Recommended key elements of a training regimen for on-site and off-site NIS personnel to maintain and adapt the system, apart from contracted maintenance obligations; and
- Other technical details that may be required to ensure the most appropriate, sustainable, and fully effective solar power systems at these sites.
- Responsible for the preparation of tender publication for the supply of solar equipment for installation at the proposed sites and participate in the bids’ evaluation process with the procurement team.
- Directly participate in assessment of solar power installation materials received from vendors to ascertain adherence or deviation to required specification and in providing any further technical clarifications with the selected vendor.
- Directly manage the installation of the Solar Power Systems at the proposed sites and managing the process on-site, bringing the system into full operation. Also carry out a comprehensive assessment of the electrical system, test installed inverter systems including the batteries and other accessories and advise accordingly.
- Provide trainings to NIS Training Focal Points and technical staff on Solar Power System maintenance and other related topics. This includes providing oversight to the craftsperson (carpenters, electricians, etc.) who will also be contracted by IOM to assist in the installation process. Development of an SoP on the active maintenance of the inverter system for optimal performance as well as other related equipment.
- Carry out maintenance work whenever such is required.
- Responsible for report preparation of the assessment for sites visited and installation report.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in Electrical Electronics Engineering, Electricals, Physics, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with 3 years of relevant experience or High School Diploma in the above fields with five years of relevant working experience
- Sound knowledge of Nigeria, as well as experience in working with solar pumps and panels installations including electrical systems
- Understand building codes and complete installations in conformity with them
- Great ability to wire equipment into the power grid
- Extensive knowledge on proper mount installation
- Computer literacy including proficiency in MS Office applications.
- Respect for diversity and professionalism.
- Excellent social and inter-cultural skills as well as good interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to analyze and interpret source information and data. Analytical thinker and an eye for details.
- Personal commitment, efficiency, empathy, flexibility, drive for results, respect for diversity, creative thinking, and organized.
- Experience in liaising with government authorities, other national / international institutions, and NGOs as an advantage.
- Proficiency in English. Knowledge of French an asset.