Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Independently operates all machines for voice and for data communication.
- Operates all types of radio (VHF, HF) including phone/satellite equipment for voice and data communication
- Facilitates radio and telecommunication contacts and maintains a permanent field follow-up according to internal guidelines
- Respects international and national radio procedures when contacting other stations
- Immediately shares with management any information that can affect the operational activities of the ICRC.
- Registers and treat incoming and outgoing information, confidentially, rapidly and with accuracy
- Is responsible for ensuring that the correct languages are used when working with all types of radios
- Selects the most efficient means of communication (inside and outside the ICRC) taking into account speed and cost
- Keeps record and tracks of satellite equipment, portable radios and other equipment in the Radio Room and ensures that they are constantly in good working condition
- Is responsible for HF/VHF radios and satellite phones and issues them to field officers when needed
- Reports all faults or irregularities relating to the efficient functioning of the Radio Room and/or the equipment to the Radio Operator Supervisor or the ICT Department
- Ensures constant contact with people moving in the field and takes appropriate action as stipulated under security rules and internal guidelines
- Updates lists of field movements, messages transmitted, etc.
- Acts quickly in the event of an emergency and contact relevant managements to contain and help solve critical incidents
- Maintains a detailed incident log for security reports and proactively maintains information flow on security-related matters, forwarding to the management regular security reports
- Obtains security clearance for field trips and ensures strict adherence to the relevant movement plans.
- Ensures all movements are registered in the Field mobile log database.
- May be asked to perform tasks not covered in this job description, to provide support to other departments and replace other colleagues within the ICT department when necessary
Education and Experience Required
- Minimum of Secondary education.
- Diploma in ICT or Electronic, additional vocational training in electronics, telecommunication, IT or similar field will be an asset.
- Experience in communications/Radio operations within NGO’s or similar function preferably with an international organization.
Desired profile and Skills
- Good knowledge of radio (HF & VHF) technology and satellite communication.
- Excellent knowledge of the geographically assigned environment Basic mechanical skills.
- Fluent in written and spoken English and knowledge of local languages is an asset.
- Very good knowledge of Windows based computers.
Send Curriculum vitae, Application letter and NYSC Certificate to ABJ_Recruitment_Services@icrc.org using Job code and Job title as subject of mail.